Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chuang Tzu Story - hurried away with infant son on his back (负赤子而趋)
04-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Chuang Tzu Story - hurried away with infant son on his back (负赤子而趋)
Confucius asked Tsze-sang Hû, saying, 'I was twice driven from Lû; the tree was felled over me in Sung; I was obliged to disappear from Wei; I was reduced to extreme distress in Shang and Kâu; and I was kept in a state of siege between Khan and Tshâi. I have encountered these various calamities; my intimate associates are removed from me more and more; my followers and friends are more and more dispersed;-- why have all these things befallen me?'

Tsze-sang Hû replied, 'Have you not heard of the flight of Lin Hui of Kiâ;-- how he abandoned his round jade symbol of rank, worth a thousand pieces of silver, and hurried away with his infant son on his back? If it be asked, "Was it because of the market value of the child?" But that value was small (compared with the value of the jade token). If it be asked again, "Was it because of the troubles (of his office)?" But the child would occasion him much more trouble. Why was it then that, abandoning the jade token, worth a thousand pieces of silver, he hurried away with the child on his back?

Lin Hui (himself) said, "The union between me and the token rested on the ground of gain; that between me and the child was of Heaven's appointment." Where the bond of union is its profitableness, when the pressure of poverty, calamity, distress, and injury come, the parties abandon one another; when it is of Heaven's appointment, they hold in the same circumstances to one another. Now between abandoning one another, and holding to one another, the difference is great. the intercourse of superior men is tasteless as water, while that of mean men is sweet as new wine. But the tastelessness of the superior men leads on to affection, and the sweetness of the mean men to aversion.

孔子问子桑雽曰:“吾再逐于鲁,伐树于宋,削迹于卫,穷于商周,围于陈蔡之间。吾犯此数患,亲交益疏,徒友益散,何与?”

子桑雽曰:“子独不闻假人之亡与?林回弃千金之璧,负赤子而趋。或曰:‘为其布与?赤子之布寡矣;为其累与?赤子之累多矣。弃千金之璧,负赤子而趋,何也?’林回曰:‘彼以利合,此以天属也。’夫以利合者,迫穷祸患害相弃也。以天属者,迫穷祸患害相收也。夫相收之与相弃亦远矣。且君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴;君子淡以亲,小人甘以绝。​

[Image: chuangtzu_tu_05.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply