Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chuang Tzu's Story: Chuang Tzu's funeral (庄子将死)
03-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Chuang Tzu's Story: Chuang Tzu's funeral (庄子将死)
This following below is another interesting story I came upon when reading book Zhang Zi. I like share it with people and hope Zhuangzi's story can enlighten us in terms of the understanding towards death.

When Chuang Tzu was about to die, his disciples began planning a grand funeral.

But Chuang Tzu said:
I shall have heaven and earth for my coffin, the sun and moon will be jade symbols hanging by my side; planets and constellations will shine as jewels all around me, and all beings will be present as mourners at the wake. What more is needed? Everything is amply taken care of.

But the disciples said:
We fear that the crows and kites will eat our Master.

Chuang Tzu replied:
Well, above the ground I shall be eaten by crows and kites, and below the ground by ants and worms. In either case I shall be eaten. So why do you favor this and dislike the other? What a bigotry it is!

庄子将死,弟子欲厚葬之。庄子曰:“吾以天地为棺椁,以日月为连璧,星辰为珠玑,万物为赍送。吾葬具岂不备邪?何以加此?”弟子曰:“吾恐乌鸢之食夫子也.”庄子曰:“在上为乌鸢食,在下为蝼蚁食,夺彼与此,何其偏也!”

People are welcome to offer your understanding here. It is really a nice chance to exchange ideas and understanding!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply