Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chuang Tzu's Story: Zhuang Zi's wife died (庄子妻死)
03-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Chuang Tzu's Story: Zhuang Zi's wife died (庄子妻死)
Recently when I read the book of Zhuangzi I came to an interesting story and I really felt fascinated by the profundity of the tale:

When Zhuang Zi's wife died, his friend Hui Zi went to offer his condolences to the sage. He saw Zhuang Zi sitting on the ground, drumming on an upturned basin an singing. Hui Zi said to him, "Your wife lived with you, and gave birth to and brought up your children. The fact that you refuse to weep just because she became old and died is something that I can understand. But to drum on a basin and sing - is that not going beyond the bounds of decorum?" Zhuang Zi answered, "That is not the case. When she died, of course I was grieved. But I realized that originally she did not exist. Then she had a shape and life, and then she died. That was just like the changing of the four seasons. Now she is quietly lying in a big room. If I weep and wail, that shows that I do not understand the rules of nature. So I ceased weeping."

庄子妻死,惠子吊之,庄子则方箕踞鼓盆而歌。惠子曰:“与人居,长子老身,死不哭亦足矣,又鼓盆而歌,不亦甚乎!”庄子曰:“不然。是其始死也,我独何能无概然!察其始而本无生,非徒无生也而本无形,非徒无形也而本无气。杂乎芒芴之间,变而有气,气变而有形,形变而有生,今又变而之死。是相与为春秋冬夏四时行也。人且偃然寝于巨室,而我噭​々然随而哭之,自以为不通乎命,故止也。”

People often claim Zhuangzi prefers to use tales to tell the ways in disciplining people's mind for their Tao cultivation. Could some people offer some more understanding on this tale? My thanks here in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2011, 04:46 PM
RE: Chuang Tzu's Story: Zhuang Zi's wife died (庄子妻死)
We come here and after sometime of stay, we go back to where we came from. all that live have to die eventually. That is the rule of Nature. It is natural to die, so why be sad and weep when you understand the ways of Nature ? The body is a shell for the consciousness to interact with this world. When we die, what is left is that empty rotting shell. Why be attached to a dead rotting shell ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply