Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Take Office (仕)
03-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Take Office (仕)
Confucius said to Yen Hui, 'Come here, Hui. Your family is poor, and your position is low; why should you not take office?' Hui replied, 'I have no wish to be in office. Outside the suburban district I possess fields to the extent of fifty acres, which are sufficient to supply me with congee; and inside it I have ten acres, which are sufficient to supply me with silk and flax. I find my pleasure in playing on my lute, and your doctrines, Master, which I study, are sufficient for my enjoyment; I do not wish to take office.'

Confucius looked sad, changed countenance, and said, "How good is the mind of Hui! I have heard that he who is contented will not entangle himself with the pursuit of gain, that he who is conscious of having gained (the truth) in himself is not afraid of losing other things, and that he who cultivates the path of inward rectification is not ashamed though he may have no official position. I have long been preaching this; but to-day I see it realised in Hui:-- this is what I have gained.'

孔子谓颜回曰:“回,来!家贫居卑,胡不仕乎?”颜回对曰:“不愿仕。回有郭外之田五十亩,足以给飦粥;郭内之田十亩,足以为丝麻;鼓琴足以自娱;所学夫子之道者足以自乐也。回不愿仕。”孔子揪然变容,曰:“善哉,回之意!丘闻之:‘知足者,不以利自累也;审自得者,失之而不惧;行修于内者,无位而不作。’丘诵之久矣,今于回而后见之,是​丘之得也。”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply