Taoist Internal Alchemy Forums

Full Version: What I Call Knowing is Not Really Not Knowing? (知之非不知邪?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nevertheless, I will try to tell you. How can it be known that what I call knowing is not really not knowing and that what I call not knowing is not really knowing? Now I would ask you this, If a man sleeps in a damp place, he gets lumbago and dies. But how about an eel? And living up in a tree is precarious and trying to the nerves. But how about monkeys? Of the man, the eel, and the monkey, whose habitat is the right one, absolutely? Human beings feed on flesh, deer on grass, centipedes on little snakes, owls and crows on mice. Of these four, whose is the right taste, absolutely? Monkey mates with the dog-headed female ape, the buck with the doe, eels consort with fishes, while men admire Mao Ch'iang and Li Chi, at the sight of whom fishes plunge deep down in the water, birds soar high in the air, and deer hurry away. Yet who shall say which is the correct standard of beauty?

虽然,尝试言之:庸讵知吾所谓知之非不知邪?庸讵知吾所谓不知之非知邪?且吾尝试问乎女:民湿寝则腰疾偏死,鳅然乎哉?木处则惴栗恂惧,猨猴然乎哉?三者孰知正处?民食刍豢,麋鹿食荐,蝍蛆甘带,鸱鸦耆鼠,四者孰知正味?猿猵狙以为雌,麋与鹿交,鳅与鱼游。毛嫱丽姬,人之所美也;鱼见之深入,鸟见之高飞,麋鹿见之决骤,四者孰知天下之正色​哉?
Reference URL's