Five-Dragon Temple is the first Taoist temple on Mt. Wudang, located at the Wulong Ling Ying foothills, west of Tianzhu mountain. It was constructed in Tang Dynasty under emperor’s ordain. Therefore it has over 1,300 years of history, several hundreds of years earlier than any other building complex in Wudang.
According to historical records, emperor Renzong of Yuan Dynasty granted the tablet "big Wulong Ling Ying Longevity Palace", to the temple complex. Up to Yongle period of Ming Dynasty(1412), Five-Dragon Temple
had 200 rooms, in JiaQing of Qing Dynasty the rooms reached 850. Then the size fo five-dragon temple can be comparable to the size of today’s Purple Heaven palace. A poem reads: "layers of of layers overlapping pine trees, together supporting the imposing temple houses."
Along the history, Five-Dragon Temple experienced big fire several times. Up to 1930, there only remained the palace house, red walls, tablets pavilions and the spring pool, almost a ruin occupying 25 million square meters.
|Wudang Taoism Kung Fu Academy
Mount Wudang Scenery Zone
ShiYan City, Hubei Province, China.
Tel: 0086-136-0988-6620 (foreign)
Tel: (0)-136-0988-6620 (domestic)